MAC address is known as Media Access Control Address. MAC Address is assigned to Network Adaptors of the devices and MAC Address is unique for each Network Adaptors and devices. MAC Address is a 6-digit hexadecimal number, which is normally written as a twelve character alphanumeric string with a colon (:) or other separating character after every second character.
Sometimes MAC Address is also known as Physical Address, Hardware Addresses or Hardware Addresses.
Make sure to connect with the interface that you need the MAC address for (Wi-Fi if you need your wireless card’s MAC address, Ethernet if you need your (LAN)wired card’s MAC address).
First Method to Find MAC Address of a PC, Laptop and Computer using “ipconfig/all” Command
- Open Command Prompt(cmd) on your PC, Laptop or
Computer. Click on Windows Icon or Start button from the taskbar of your PC. Type “cmd” in Search Bar from the start menu and press Enter key on your keyboard. This will open cmd or command prompt. You can also click the start button and then type “Run” in the search bar and press Enter key. In Run box type “cmd” and then press Enter Key on your keyboard. You will have cmd open on your screen.
- In cmd(Command Prompt) type ipconfig/all and press Enter key on your keyboard.
- You will see info like shown in Image below. Here Physical Address is MAC Address.
But you will see a number of Physical Addresses (MAC Address) so how you will find the MAC Address.
In the Screen Shot shown here, I have highlighted Physical Address under “Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection”. I am connected to Internet Via LAN so that is why it is “Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection”
If using Wifi then Physical Address (MAC Address) will be mentioned Under “Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection”.
Second Method to Find MAC Address of a PC, Laptop and Computer Using “getmac” Command
- Open cmd like mentioned in first method.
- This time, Type “getmac” and press Enter Key on Keyboard. This will straightway show you MAC Address of your PC, Laptop and Computer.
If “getmac” doesn’t work for you then type getmac /v /fo list and press Enter Key on Keyboard. This will show you MAC Address of your PC, Laptop and Computer.
TIP Knowing MAC Address of Your PC, Laptop, Computer or any other such device is very useful when you want to control the wifi users of your wifi routers or if you want to secure your wifi router and strictly restrict users from connecting to your wifi. Function “MAC Filtering” works using MAC Address in Wifi Routers.
Third Method to Find MAC Address of a PC, Laptop and Computer using
Make sure you are connected to the internet using interface for which you want to find the MAC Address. Wifi for wireless card’s MAC address and Ethernet for (LAN)wired card’s MAC address).
- Go to Control Panel of your PC, Laptop or Computer.
- Under “Network And Internet” Find “Network and Sharing Center” and open it.
- From “Connections” under “Active Networks” Click for “Local Area Network” or “Wireless Network” depending on which connection you are using. You will get a Pop-up Window.
- In pop-up window click on “Status” here you can see Physical Address or MAC Address of your PC, Laptop or Computer.